Material Matters vol.4: Light
The 4th architectural conference in the “Material Matters” series, organized by ek magazine, will take place on Monday, May 29th, 2023, at the atrium of the Benaki Museum (Pireos 138, Athens).
Beginning in 2019, ek magazine has established an annual cycle of events titled “Material Matters”, dedicated to the importance of materiality in the architecture and construction sectors of our country.
The aim of the events is to showcase the importance, and creative potential, of several architectural materials in the fields of form, function, and meaning in architecture and design, through presentations of realized works by notable contemporary architects. The presentations will focus on the history of each material, its constructional and expressive characteristics, as well as its potential enhancement in new ways through technological developments and economic factors.
Material Matters Vol. 4 will be dedicated to an “immaterial” architectural material, which is light. Lighting design has always been an integral part of architecture, in the sense that it can make or break a project. We are exploring natural and artificial lighting, and the vast array of latest-generation products which facilitate the work of architectural and lighting designers.
10 speakers from the field of architecture and design and an internationally acclaimed architectural practice, invited as keynote speaker, will analyze the role of light in their own work, through their stories and case studies in 10-minute presentations.
– Katerina Andritsou, Panita Karamanea, Thanassis Polyzoidis | Topio 7
– Giorgos Atsalakis, Stavroula Christofilopoulou | Scapearchitecture
– Athanassios Danilof | DANILOF light + perception studio
– Styliani Daouti, Giorgos Mitroulias, Michaeljohn Raftopoulos | AREA
– Giannis Kizis | Kizi Studio
– Aris Klonizakis | LAStudio
– Ryan Neiheiser, Christina Argyros | Neiheiser-Argyros
– Giorgos Fatseas | George Fatseas crisis architectural design + lighting
– Memos Filippidis | mplusm
Under the auspices:
Hellenic Institute of Architecture
Under the auspices: